Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Dexter

Transfiguration

14 posts in this topic

2qnwf49.png

I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not, but I was just linked up to it a few hours ago and after reading through all of the slides I thought it would be useful if I posted it.

Anyways, it's basically a photodocumentary about male-to-female and female-to-male transgendered people. There are 37 slides and each one has written messages next to the person and some talk about their past, if they're currently transitioning, what kind of man they see themselves as, Testosterone, Estrogen, how they feel after their transitioning and so on.

I would definitely recommend that you all take a look at it if you haven't already.

Transfiguration: The Award Winning Photodocumentary

WOW!

Thanks!

The photography was wonderful and the text was empowering!

I loved every slide!

Thanks, Hon!

Donna Jean

Thanks for the link Dexter.

Love,

Sarah F

I wish everyone in America - or even the entire world - could see this!

Oh my

Lizzy

Hi Dexter,

Thanks alot - that was a beautiful series. I know it will be worth visiting a few more times.

Thanks again, Kat

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM !!!!!!!!!! I just love a good ending .

Powerful stories. Powerful pictures . Powerful lives . The power of love. viv , :)

What a collection of thoughts and ability to express them. I thank you for sharing.

I have noticed something interesting on slide 36 that probably would not mean anything to anyone else but it is interesting to me. I have barely altered my facial appearance and have only done anything noticable on parts that I can hide such as my legs but even without alteration or hormones, I noticed that my face looks very similar to Aiden's face before he started hormones (except for the little extra facial hair that I have but when I shave there is almost no difference). An ftm had a face like mine before hormones and his picture after hormones (on slide 37) does not look as similar as mine. It is interesting that the addition of hormones made Aiden's face look less like mine than it did without hormones. The more he underwent masculine physical development the less he looked like me. I am only talking about the face and the rest of his body looks different from mine but I just find it funny what I noticed.

Very inspiring and beautiful presentation. Thank you so much, Dexter.

I especially liked and related to Jennifer's slide.

Carolyn Marie

I went through all of the pictures and read the statements and it gave me some of the courage I will need to keep moving foward. They also cleared up some of my understanding of my changing lifestyle and what I too will have to endure eventually in the years ahead of me. Thank you for that!

Truly inspiring. Thank you.

As a former black and white photographer, I really appreciated the strength and power of each image. The use of the BW lifted the vibrancy of the individual above what could have been distracting elements of their clothing. Clothing is a strong gendering cue and by reducing it to BW, the shooter leveled the playing field making each individual's true gender leap off the page.

I have to admit, though I love trans-masculine men, the emphasis on post mastectomy scars felt rather male biased. There were no topless trans-feminine women showing their scars. Why is it so important to show so many?

Granted these are just excerpts form the larger work published in book form, it just felt somewhat male gender biased to me in this presentation.

But that didn't detract from the overall high quality, extremely engaging images and stories. I found it to be one of those savoring experiences where even though I was dying to see the next one, I wanted to savor each one.

I imagine some of the photographers here remember the works of Diane Arbus who documented a wide variety of trans people in her explorations of marginalized people in the early 1900's. She worked pretty hard to portray her subjects as real people too.

Zoe

I really enjoyed this. (I don't know why I didn't see this post until now! :lol:) I always like reading the stories and successes of others, as it can be inspiring. I like that a lot of other transmen are so respectful towards women. And I especially related to Aiden before T and top surgery -- when he said he identified as a 'boy', because 'man' seemed too grown up for him. That's exactly how I feel right now. I only hope that like him, once I've progressed with my transition, I'll grow emotionally and achieve the sort of peace that he did.

Wow.... So much there. Thanks. I so much related to the fact that we have to find peace in where we are in the journey as we will never be completely one or the other...

thanks again for reminding me of the inner search perhaps best found by helping others.

Peace to all, Charlie