Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ValSpirit

Any quick Tips?

7 posts in this topic

I figure until i can get myself some more help with counseling i am going to work on stopping my drinking habit to the best of my ability. However i am so bored at night without it. I also can't get to sleep. Anyone have any tips or distractions i could use?  

Well, every now and then one of my AA meetings can put me to sleep with some speakers I know, but at other meeting I leave with such a good feeling that I do not want to drink, just enjoy the feeling that I do not get any other way.  Depending on where you are there in Penn, you might just run into another member from here and that can be helpful as  well.

Hi ValSpirit,

Just do things, even if you don't feel like it and it's not much fun. It could be anything. Housecleaning, dishes, watch tv or movies, read a book. It will take up time, get you into the habit of doing that instead of drinking. And if you choose evening chores, it can make you tired and help quicken the end of the sleepless or troubled sleep nights. Just a few ideas I've learned in my recovery program.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf🐾

I have so many hobbies that I forget about drink much of the time. As Timber Wolf says - just do things - keep busy. Another thing I often do is to plan ahead to being in bed. plan what I will dream about, I use dreaming for planning what outings to go on and what I will wear. I tend to be busy when I am up so arrange in my mind to do that. It oftens does not workout as I fall asleep, but at least it helps me sleep. Being in bed and not having to do something is a quiet time for planning!

Tracy

When i finally confronted my drinking habit i was well past the point where i knew i simply couldn't stop.  I had gotten to the point where i drank because i had to drink.  Like you i wondered what i'd do without alcohol. How would i ever sleep?  I couldn't live with or without it.  I had gotten to the point of life being a living hell.  I certainly wasn't able to do anything about my gender issues.

Fortunately i had heard of AA and in desperation i made it to a meeting.  That was over 10 years ago.  I'm happy and fall sleep (most of the time).  Also amazingly it was the first situation where i was able to honest about myself with straight, cis gendered folks.

Hugs,

Charlize

All greats points and ultimately i am going to start AA because i know i have to. Its getting later in the day and i have nothing for tonight if i wanted it. I literally do not want to go out and get anything but i know as it gets closer to the time to store closes i have that urge. So for today its going to be a busy night just doing things to tire myself out.  

I don't know if you ever go to the chatrooms here but tonight at 9 eastern at the substance abuse room we have a meeting.  I do my best to be there and often other alcoholics or folks with substance issues or confusion come for conversation about their use.  There are also other sources and meetings in the pinned posts in this forum.  i have found that TGAA has been great.  We have a chat like e-mail meeting as well as a meeting of trans* folks in which we can see and talk to each other (or hide, watch and listen) three times a week.  The information is pinned here as well.

Hugs,

Charlize