Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amanda_s

wondering about this

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I put links next the subjects here. The Williams Institute, in collaboration with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention says suicide attempts among trans men (46%) and trans women (42%) were slightly higher than the full sample (41%).  Cross-dressers assigned male at birth have the lowest reported prevalence of suicide attempts among gender identity groups (21%). https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf  Dr. Charles Ihlenfeld, who worked alongside the famous Dr. Harry Benjamin for six years administering hormone therapy to some 500 transgenders, spoke to an audience in New York about his experience: “There is too much unhappiness among people who have had the surgery. Too many of them end as suicides.”http://lvtgw.jadephoenix.org/Info_htm/Herbal_G/ginko_b2.htmhttp://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2016/02/16376/  The Guardian of the UK in 2004 reviewed 100 studies and reported that a whopping 20 percent (one fifth) of transgenders regret changing gendershttps://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jul/30/health.mentalhealth 90 percent of these diverse patients had at least one other significant form of psychopathology” reported Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, Department of Psychiatry in a 2009 study of transgender outcomes at their clinic. In other words, 90 percent of the patients were suffering from a mental illness that gender surgery did not alleviate.<old inactive link deleted> Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic of children who had expressed transgender feelings but for whom, over time, 70–80 percent “spontaneously lost those feelings” http://transgenderchildabuse.com/some-studies 61 percent of the patients treated for cross-gender identification (359 people) had other psychiatric disorders and illnesses, notably personality, mood, dissociative, and psychotic disorders according to a 2003 Dutch survey of board-certified Dutch psychiatrists. http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.ajp.160.7.1332 A 2013 University of Louisville, KY study of 351 transgender individuals found that the rates of depression and anxiety symptoms within the study “far surpass the rates of those for the general population.” About half had depressive symptoms and more than 40 percent had symptoms of anxiety. http://people.stfx.ca/x2009/x2009lgo/Depression%201.pdf Findings—20 percent have regret, 41 percent attempt suicide, 90 percent have a “significant form of psychopathology”, 61 percent also have other psychiatric disorders and illnesses, 50 percent had depressive symptoms    this was sent to me.  would like to know more if this is fair and honest

Edited by VickySGV
Removed Inactive link

Except for the first link to the Williams Institute, all of these links and articles are quite old.  The person who sent them to you is trying to tell you the worst about GCS and has dredged up articles that point to the worst cases.  I recognize most of the studies listed, and in three of them the authors are known Transphobes who  pander to the Trans*malignant folks of society.  These studies have been clarified and or debunked as junk science.  It is now known  that GCS benefits all but a tiny number of those who have it.  Where post surgical self harm takes place it has nothing really to do with the surgery, and everthing in world about love and acceptance of the person who has had it. 

This was no friend who sent you these links.  The conclusions also cited do not derive from the information and are meant to deprive Trans* folk of needed and helpful medicaid treatment.

I agree with Vicky wholeheartedly on this! They are attempting to tie the mental illness that we have been given by our dysfunctional upbringing and existence within a society that ostracizes and demonizes us to our Gender Dysphoria and decisions to live authentically as the person we were born to be. They aren't trying to help, they are trying to cram you back into the closet!

While I think a few might rush into transitioning too fast to really grasp what they're trying to do and end up making poor decisions for themselves, our detracters like too champion these odd cases. From my observations in life listening to real trans people, I think the rate of disatisfaction seems to be really low. I think as long as we move ahead slowly enough to get a more sound understanding of ourselves and our situations with the help of gender therapy before actually changing our bodies, our chances of making the right decisions for ourselves that will make us happy after surgery are very good. That's just my two cents.

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf🐾

thanks this what i thought too.  i even gave them links to information but they are not interested 

Hre some counter points 

NHS:http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gender-dysphoria/Pages/Treatment.aspx (read the life after surgery section)

From wikipedia on Sexual reassignment therapy:

"A recent Swedish study (2010) found that “almost all patients were satisfied with sex reassignment at 5 years, and 86% were assessed by clinicians at follow-up as stable or improved in global functioning”[18] A prospective study in the Netherlands that looked at the psychological and sexual functioning of 162 adult applicants of adult sex reassignment applicants before and after hormonal and surgical treatment found, "After treatment the group was no longer gender dysphoric. The vast majority functioned quite well psychologically, socially and sexually. Two non-homosexual male-to-female transsexuals expressed regrets."[19] "

" A long-term follow-up study performed in Sweden over a long period of time (1973–2003) found that morbidity, suicidality, and mortality in post-operative trans people were still significantly higher than in the general population, suggesting that sex reassignment therapy is not enough to treat gender dysphoria, highlighting the need for improved health care following sex reassignment surgery. 10 controls were selected for each post-operative trans person, matched by birth year and sex; two control groups were used: one matching sex at birth, the other matching reassigned sex. The study states that "no inferences can be drawn [from this study] as to the effectiveness of sex reassignment as a treatment for transsexualism," citing studies showing the effectiveness of sex reassignment therapy, though noting their poor quality. The authors noted that the results suggested that those who received sex reassignment surgery before 1989 had worse mortality, suicidality, and crime rates than those who received surgery on or after 1989: mortality, suicidality, and crime rates for the 1989-2003 cohort were not statistically significant compared to healthy controls (though psychiatric morbidity was); it is not clear if this is because these negative factors tended to increase a decade after surgery or because in the 1990s and later improved treatment and social attitudes may have led to better outcomes.[20] "

and

"The abstract of the American Psychiatric Association Task Force on GID's report from 2012 states, "The quality of evidence pertaining to most aspects of treatment in all subgroups was determined to be low; however, areas of broad clinical consensus were identified and were deemed sufficient to support recommendations for treatment in all subgroups."[3] The APA Task Force states, with regard to the quality of studies, "For some important aspects of transgender care, it would be impossible or unwise to engage in more robust study designs due to ethical concerns and lack of volunteer enrollment. For example, it would be extremely problematic to include a 'long-term placebo treated control group' in an RCT of hormone therapy efficacy among gender variant adults desiring to use hormonal treatments." [3]:22 The Royal College of Psychiatrists concurs with regards to SRS in trans women, stating, "There is no level 1 or 2 evidence (Oxford levels) supporting the use of feminising vaginoplasty in women but this is to be expected since a randomised controlled study for this scenario would be impossible to carry out."[7]

Following up on the APA Task Force's report, the APA issued a statement stating that the APA recognizes that in "appropriately evaluated" cases, hormonal and surgical interventions may be medically necessary and opposes "categorical exclusions" of such treatment by third-party payers.[4] The American Medical Association's Resolution 122 states, "An established body of medical research demonstrates the effectiveness and medical necessity of mental health care, hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery as forms of therapeutic treatment for many people diagnosed with GID".[5]"

2 hours ago, amanda_s said:

thanks this what i thought too.  i even gave them links to information but they are not interested 

Sadly, the fact they are not interested in the newer better information is indicative of where they are at.  This is typical of people who have no intention of becoming accepting or supportive.  New thoughts that change how they see a life they like, will give them discomfort and the idea they must change is going to be ignored since change is hell to them.