Fiona

From This Day Forward

11 posts in this topic

Well over a year ago my wife's therapist suggested that we watch an independent film called From this Day Forward. I streamed it from Netflix and I hear it's available from other streaming companies as well. 

It's a documentary shot by one of the daughters of a trans-couple, and they talk about their life together and so on. I enjoyed it, it made me think about some things. I plan to watch it at least a couple more times.....

Give it a shot!

-Fiona

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I saw that film on line.  I think its still available on PBS-POV (Point of View).  An interesting film. 

Another great video can be found at The Atlantic, called Transitioning in the Middle of Nowhere.  It's about a woman from Jasper, Alberta, Canada.  It's a a nice story with some beautiful vistas.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/495170/transitioning-in-the-middle-of-nowhere/

Jani

Share this post


Link to post

Me and my wife have been following the series Transparent (wrong in many ways, but good for the cis folks to see we are people too!) But the movie that got me was "The Danish Girl", grab a tissue box for each of you for that one, great movie!

Share this post


Link to post

Transparent is wrong? I haven't seen it yet, please explain......

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/3/2017 at 6:11 PM, Cindy Truheart said:

Me and my wife have been following the series Transparent (wrong in many ways,)

I would like to know how it is wrong too.  I know a bunch of the folks on the show and have been an extra on it in season 2.  I can relay problems to them.  The character Maura is based on the IRL  parent of the shows creator Jill Soloway and she consults with her often. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Fiona said:

Transparent is wrong? I haven't seen it yet, please explain......

 

32 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

I would like to know how it is wrong too.  I know a bunch of the folks on the show and have been an extra on it in season 2.  I can relay problems to them.  The character Maura is based on the IRL  parent of the shows creator Jill Soloway and she consults with her often. 

Yes, me too!  While I haven't seen any of the programs/films referenced in this thread, I'm always interested in how things can be "mis-depicted."

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I stuck my hand into a hornet's nest didn't I?

Okay, let me say that I posted that comment from the assumption that the trans* community as a whole didn't very much approve of that show. I've been brought to understand this from the local group I went to. The group that I no longer go to because the SOFFA counterpart refuses to let my wife come to meetings because she is a straight cis female and the group is full of lesbian partners of transgender men. So, it's safe to say that their view on things is.... off. And, unfortunately, I bend to the consensus on things because that is how I fit in. Even as the "rebel bad boy", I played a part, I was what was expected. Not proud of it, and I'm working on it.

Now, in regard to that show. I think that its a great series that gives a lot of insight to cis gender people so that they can understand us. I think that for the sake of brevity due to the constraints of the length of the shows, they sometimes "gloss over" or don't give enough background and context to certain situations or character decisions. But I believe that can be said about nearly every television show that is out today and I understand. I believe that they are representing the characters accurately, albeit not in the best context, because that is life and NONE of us are at our best all the time! I enjoy the fact that the characters are not perfect, but it is a source of consternation occasionally, much like many good shows out there!

In regard to the criticism I have heard about the show, it was mainly in reference to points that I believe were situational to an individual as they related to the show's characters. People told me things about how they "would never" allow their children to call them "Moppa" (an amalgam of the words 'Momma' and 'Poppa') or how they never would have allowed someone to misgender them (even slightly) without the most severe tongue lashing rather than letting it pass. They lamented the fact that characters were put into positions that allowed them to be discriminated against without understanding that the show was telling the story of "how it is" and it wasn't actually giving cis people permission to discriminate.

So, allow me to apologize. I don't believe that Transparent has any flaws beyond that of any other show. I believe it portrays trans* people in the best way possible, but at the same time also shows us as being just as human as everyone else. I believe that shows like this are essential to our acceptance in society because it takes away the fear of the unknown and puts us into the realm of "REAL" just like everyone else.

....but I could have done without Maura's hook up scene in the bathroom at the club! Seriously!! I'm a totally innocent flower over here! NEVER been kissed by a man! lol!

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Cindy Truheart said:

.but I could have done without Maura's hook up scene in the bathroom at the club! Seriously!

That scene was shot at a Club I go to fairly often, and the idea of that happening there is a real howl because it does happen there IRL with real Trans, and while it is a clean bathroom (to start the night out) it has never been my idea of a place to make-out either. 

Share this post


Link to post

I always saw folks disappear into the parking lot at the club i attended.  Not my thing but obviously others found pleasure in that kind of quick relationship.

 

Hugs,

 

Charlize

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Cindy Truheart said:

Well, I stuck my hand into a hornet's nest didn't I?  Okay, let me say that I posted that comment from the assumption that the trans* community as a whole didn't very much approve of that show. I've been brought to understand this from the local group I went to. The group that I no longer go to because the SOFFA counterpart refuses to let my wife come to meetings because she is a straight cis female and the group is full of lesbian partners of transgender men. So, it's safe to say that their view on things is.... off. And, unfortunately, I bend to the consensus on things because that is how I fit in. Even as the "rebel bad boy", I played a part, I was what was expected. Not proud of it, and I'm working on it.  Now, in regard to that show. I think that its a great series that gives a lot of insight to cis gender people so that they can understand us. I think that for the sake of brevity due to the constraints of the length of the shows, they sometimes "gloss over" or don't give enough background and context to certain situations or character decisions. But I believe that can be said about nearly every television show that is out today and I understand. I believe that they are representing the characters accurately, albeit not in the best context, because that is life and NONE of us are at our best all the time! I enjoy the fact that the characters are not perfect, but it is a source of consternation occasionally, much like many good shows out there!  In regard to the criticism I have heard about the show, it was mainly in reference to points that I believe were situational to an individual as they related to the show's characters. People told me things about how they "would never" allow their children to call them "Moppa" (an amalgam of the words 'Momma' and 'Poppa') or how they never would have allowed someone to misgender them (even slightly) without the most severe tongue lashing rather than letting it pass. They lamented the fact that characters were put into positions that allowed them to be discriminated against without understanding that the show was telling the story of "how it is" and it wasn't actually giving cis people permission to discriminate.  So, allow me to apologize. I don't believe that Transparent has any flaws beyond that of any other show. I believe it portrays trans* people in the best way possible, but at the same time also shows us as being just as human as everyone else. I believe that shows like this are essential to our acceptance in society because it takes away the fear of the unknown and puts us into the realm of "REAL" just like everyone else.  ....but I could have done without Maura's hook up scene in the bathroom at the club! Seriously!! I'm a totally innocent flower over here! NEVER been kissed by a man! lol!

W/ re: to the afore-quoted post....Very well written and well thought out.  Certainly, it explains a lot.  I highly suspect that a great many replies made in these sub-forums by a lot of folks reflect a penchant "...to bend to the consensus of things...." Such adherence to party-lines/political-perspectives is a well trod tactic for "fitting in..."m as well as an equally tried-&-true means if avoiding attack and/or ostracism.

Again, the quoted post is both well written and well thought out.  Very much appreciated.  Best wishes.

Share this post


Link to post

I see.... Thanx, Cindy

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

    • gt002
    • emilya s
    • Charlize
    • Alexx21
    • Joshua
    • Elliot
    • TexasLibraryLady
    • sharonmoore
    • like-a-sir
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      69,825
    • Total Posts
      636,747