Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jo-I-Dunno

MTF Butch

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Laura's Playground is a great, supporting community, but I can never seem to find anyone I have much in-common with. Because of that, I decided to start my own community focused on a specific subset of trans people: MTF butches. If you're an MTF transsexual who also considers yourself a butch woman, please, come visit!

http://mtfbutch.network-maker.com/

I'm currently just using the free trial of SocialGO to design and host the website, so it's a little plain, but if I get enough of a community, I'd love to upgrade to a higher tier of customization, get a real domain name, and overall better flesh out the site.

I'm sorry, but can you define "butch"? I'm not being flippant. It's a serious question.

Karen

In-general, it means masculine beyond what is considered normal for a traditional woman or even tomboy. It's almost always associated with lesbian culture but that's not necessarily true.

MTF butches are, as far as I can tell, harder to find on the Internet. Our struggles are slightly different from traditional MTFs like, if we still want to be masculine people, why bother changing gender/sex? How can someone who's biologically male dress like a tomboy without just looking like a boy? etc.

Hope that clarifies some things.

Sorry, but can I just ask where the return link to Laura's Playground is please? As per our advertising policy?

Thanks KimberleyF. Do you need me to put it in a more prominent place?

Also, any suggestions as to other places I could advertise? Only KarenLyn's joined so far. :(

Many MTF transsexuals apon coming out, are usually coming off of very male gender roles. Many live as polar opposite femininity as one can imagine. I see many new transitioner that hyper femininze or attempt to emulate their ideal feminine persona; which is often times very feminine to the point of nearly stereo typical. In doing so many shrug off most anything deemed masculin. It may eventually equalizes its self but stays far from the masculin role norms.

So it does not surprise me that "butch " MtFs are a hard to find type. I my self can be quite the tomboy but I am distinctly feminine in how I conduct my self and how I present to the world, at all times. It is all a role type and as you mentioned, the butch mtf have a hurdle in being able to maintain a feminine presence while fitting into a masculin role or projecting it accurately.

Honestly speaking and based on personal observation. I have rarely seen a working example of a butch mtf that comes across as authentically female, butch or other wise. The line between coming off as a butch female and a male that identifies more strongly with females is a line I feel to thin for many to walk so it misses the intended mark.

That is just my thoughts on it . I hope you find more but I do suspect your user base may remain rather small compared to other trans groups.

Good luck and happy hunting :)

Sorry, but can I just ask where the return link to Laura's Playground is please? As per our advertising policy?

There has been a link back here for a few days on the links page.

http://mtfbutch.network-maker.com/forum/topic/6

Many thanks, we're just tightening up on our Advertising Policy and wish to make sure as many as possible abide by it.

Many MTF transsexuals...

That is just my thoughts on it . I hope you find more but I do suspect your user base may remain rather small compared to other trans groups.

Good luck and happy hunting :)

Yeah, I'm well-aware the odds are against me, both trying to pull off my ideal gender presentation and trying to create a real community of similar people. But there's no harm in trying other than maybe a few dents in my ego if I fail. Any advance no matter how small in the direction I want is a victory for me. :D

Do male to female butches ever want to put on a little bit of makeup now and then and do their hair? I like that there are male to female butches because if some female born women are butch then there has to be some male to female butch women too. Of course there would probably be varying degrees of how butch you are and some will probably not like makeup very much and others don't really mind either way but will rather go for the natural look, am I right?

Sounds about right to me.

I sort of fall into this category... somewhere between tomboy and butch, with a stemme presentation so I get where the OP is going with this. There are definitely certain masculine things I want to keep, and she is absolutely right for a MTF on the masculine side of the spectrum its hard to present female. I would love to hear some opinions on how to be obviously female yet still have a masculine flare.

if some female born women are butch then there has to be some male to female butch women too. Of course there would probably be varying degrees of how butch you are

Logic, I love it :) Yes, "butch" is a rather encompassing self-descriptor - there are so many ways of being butch. There's actually quite a number of butch-IDed transwomen who are blogging out there. If there's more interest in who they are, I can do more digging than a cursory Google search.

I think it's important for transwomen who are butch to be able to do so - not only is it necessary for them to be happy, but it also helps broaden understanding of trans folks in the alphabet soup community. I think that sometimes gender and gender expression can come into conflict in people's minds and that can cause a lot of strife. By visibly promoting a wider range of gender expressions, I think it helps people realize that there is overlap and compatibility. If that makes sense.

Anyway, I don't ID as butch, but there are long-haired butch ladies that I relate to (in fiction, I think Holly Hunter's character, GJ, in "Top Of The Lake" is a decent example), so this is all of interest to me. I'm new here, but if this goes forward, I'd like to contribute more, for sure.

This is GREAT and healthy to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Keep up the GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!